Fire crews from West Lake and West Ridge responded to a call for an explosion on the Villa Maria Elementary School Campus around 10:15 this morning.
When officials got to the school they found that during a routine monthly generator check-there was some sort of electrical surge in a back up battery, the battery exploded in the face of a maintenance worker and ignited a small fire.
The fire we're told extinguished itself before emergency crews arrived.
The maintenance worker was treated for minor battery acid burns on scene.
Fire officials say they're thankful the event wasn't worse. No students were in the athletic complex when this small fire took place and classes were not affected.