The Rectal and Colon Surgery Inc. at 32nd and State streets is where the incident took place around two o'clock this afternoon.
Erie Fire Firefighters responded to the scene and were told Mercury had leaked from an old blood-pressure machine.
"apparently something happened to cause the vile of mercury to start leaking not a break but enough.. that over a two hour period of time there was quite a pile of mercury that came out of this piece of equipment." Asst. Chief Tom Lawson
Erie Fire Department
Office personnel told authorities only two staff members came in contact with the chemical and the situation was quickly brought under control.
The spill was contained and no one was injured in the incident.