September 26, 2012: The Erie Sports Commission (ESC) is pleased to announce the Pennsylvania State 8-Ball Pool Championships, sponsored by the Valley National 8-Ball Associations and local presenting company Warner Coin Machine, will return to the Erie Bayfront Convention Center March 8 - 10, 2013. This VNEA-PA State Tournament is the 5th largest of its kind in the nation, and is expected to grow significantly this year, attracting over 1,300 individual "singles" players and as many as 1,500 players in the team event category. Over 60% of the participants will travel to Erie from out of town, while the remaining 40% are from the Erie region. The tournament is expected to generate an estimated economic impact of over $480,000.
The 2013 tournament will be the 31st Annual VNEA State Championship, and is the second time that the event will be held at the Bayfront Convention Center. The tournament moved to the convention center last year, allowing the event to expand the number of tournament pool tables by more than 50%, from 100 to 155. The 2013 event will include more than 175 tables. Also new for 2013 will be an expanded list of specialized vendors as well as internationally-recognized pool artists who will perform for participants and patrons alike.
Rod Didion, the Tournament Event Coordinator from Warner Coin Machine, the host business of this VNEA state event, stated that "We're thrilled to return the event to the Bayfront Convention Center. The additional venue space continues to allow us to increase spectators, provide additional playing space for our participants, and increases the branding for our partners and sponsors. The Erie Sports Commission played a significant role in last year's tournament by helping us secure visitor accommodations, making the event more appealing and assisting us in the event promotion, which increased the tournament's overall size, scope and awareness."
Ron Sertz, Executive Director of the ESC noted: "We are happy to assist the VNEA to grow this event into the best 8-ball tournament in the country. It has a tremendous impact on Erie's sports tourism market."
For more information on participation and sponsorship opportunities, interested parties may contact Rod Didion at email@example.com or by calling 454-1587.